Hey hey hey,
Early this morning, Mercury stopped retrograding and stationed direct. That means it slowed down and will appear to be at the same point in the sky until it moves from 28 to 29 degrees of Leo. Mercury is the planet of intellect and expression and when it retrogrades, communication gets wonky. As I mentioned, it backed up exactly to the point where the Solar Eclipse took place on August 21 and will stay there til this Friday, September 8. This means we will be processing the information and changes sparked by the eclipse, that had been building up since Mercury started this process by passing over 28 degrees Leo on July 25.
First of all, the eclipse was the second new moon in Leo this year! For me what this says is that whatever was trying to spark on a personal, creative, playful heart level was trying to really get the fire going. New moons are when the sun and moon are in the same place in the sky, and the metaphorical joining of the masculine and feminine. It represents a birth, giving a new impulse through the next moon cycle until the sun and moon join again. This year’s rare total solar eclipse was a new moon that was a beginning for not only this next month, but a seed planted for the next six months to a year. Meaning that a big part of this next year (which also follows the north node in Leo…more on that later:) is about having fun and taking festive risks, following heart-level impulses and actively pursuing happiness.
So the idea is to gather your wits and process the eclipse through this next week until the 8th, when things will be moving forward with more ease. Mercury moves into its home sign of Virgo again on September 9, and all the details of our big new Leo heart-level dreams won’t seem so overwhelming. It will exit the shadow zone (the place it started to retrograde in the first place) at 11 degrees Virgo around September 20 and we will then feel more or less resolved and able to move into new territory. This will be a great month to start making little tasks out of big plans, making lists, shopping around, comparing notes and getting all the nitty gritty handled. These little things you do now will actually be big helps to you later, even if it seems trifling or nitpicky at the time.
Total eclipses bring big changes, usually by expressing as a crisis or moment of extreme attention in an area of your life. Now that Mercury Retrograde is over, I am going to quickly break down where this eclipse might have sparked a new torch in your longing heart (if you know your rising sign:):
- 1st House (likely Leo Rising): This year is a whole new you! The first house represents the self, and you are probably feeling a burst of energy from within yourself. Trust yourself, trust your heart. The crisis of eclipse might be manifesting as an identity crisis. Maybe who you were isn’t who you feel like now. Get in touch with yourself! You have a spotlight on you now, step into it.
- 2nd House (likely Cancer Rising): This year is all about new fortunes! The second house represents our value system, and as an earth-aligned house represents health and wealth. Spend this year creating, and be sure of your own worth. The crisis of this eclipse might come through as something related to income, or even as depression/feelings of worthlessness. Use the eclipse energy to flip the script!
- 3rd House (likely Gemini Rising): This year is all about information! The third house represents communication, and that means you’ll likely be meeting and talking with a lot of new people. Put yourself out there, and bring people into your circle. The eclipse crisis comes to you through overload, so don’t hurt yourself. Make sure you’re taking the time to make conscious choices in the madness.
- 4th House (likely Taurus rising): This year gives a new depth to your soul! The fourth house represents the inner world as well as home environment, meaning that you might be moving sometime in the next year. The eclipse is shining its crisis from deep within you, and you might only now be aware of its subconscious power. You will want to see these inner changes reflected in the place that you live.
- 5th House (likely Aries Rising): This year is all about your heart’s journey. The fifth house represents creativity, pleasure, and personal authority. Wherever your heart pulls you this year, you are likely to have a blast doing it! The eclipse might bring this to your attention by asking you if your heart is really what you are doing. If not, now is the time to find and follow that spark to ignite it.
- 6th House (likely Pisces Rising): This year is all about how you are getting it done. The sixth house represents the body, work, and habits/routines which means you might be finding new employment! You will want to work smarter and not harder. This eclipse placement might bring a health crisis, so pay attention to detail and take care of yourself first. Making lists, check ’em twice. Quit smoking!
- 7th House (likely Aquarius Rising): This year is all about the people in your life. The seventh house represents the Other, so the focus won’t be so much on you. Trust others. You’re likely feeling a new surge of energy in your personal relationships, which might be put to the test with this eclipse placement. It’s important to be aware not only of what you give of yourself, but what you receive from others.
- 8th House (likely Capricorn Rising): This year is all about deep transformation. The eighth house represents shared values and regenerative cycles. This eclipse placement suggests a crisis related to letting go of your old self and becoming something new. You should collaborate deeply with others, and might even possibly gain through offering your support. You won’t recognize yourself after this.
- 9th House (likely Sagittarius Rising): This year is a new awakening for you. The ninth house represents higher learning, philosophy, religion, as well as travel and foreign places. You will feel a fiery passion to follow your highest truth. Your crisis in this placement might be of faith-make sure you are living according to your own ideals. This year you might also feel the travel bug acutely-hop to!
- 10th House (likely Scorpio Rising): This year is all about your long-term goals. The tenth house represents public life as well as the course of your life’s events. You will be very aware of your reputation at this time, and will take cares with your legacy. The eclipse here might express through a change in careers or even social status. Use this new energy impulse to turn things around-it’s your life, after all!
- 11th House (likely Libra Rising): This year is all about a bigger perspective. The eleventh house represents social connection and how we fit into groups. This is your time to shine within your networks. Your eclipse crisis might express through feeling alienated from your social scene, or possibly finding new ones. Hopes and dreams also live here, so use the eclipse energy to lead you to your bright future.
- 12th House (likely Virgo Rising): This year is all about letting go and connecting to spirit. The twelfth house represents the subconscious, hidden sorrows and enemies, as well as institutions. It may feel like you have to give yourself up for a little while, but if you offer the service freely you will reap the spiritual rewards. Use the energizing eclipse energy to tap directly into Spirit-the channels are open to you.
If you don’t know your rising sign and would like to get a private reading, please get ahold of me on Facebook or here. You can also call Golden Braid Books at (801) 322-1162 to schedule an in-person appointment in Salt Lake City, or a phone reading (you could be anywhere!). Thanks so much for reading!
P.S. Used my ephemeris and astro.com for reference, and took this photo myself on the day of the eclipse.